The Huntington Woods library is the home library for Pleasant Ridge residents who can obtain a library card, and can participate in all programs and events. Click Here for the main events page.
Following are the March, 2021 library events:
- First Time Storytime (Recurring event each Monday/Wednesday – 10:30-11:00 am). Books, rhymes, crafts and socialization with infant and toddler friends and their caregivers.
- PreSchool Storytime (Recurring event each Monday/Wednesday – 11:15-11:45 am). Books, rhymes, crafts and socialization with preschool friends.
- PJ Storytime (Recurring event each Thursday – 6:30-7:00 pm). Wear your comfy PJs and join us for bedtime books, poems, and rhymes.
- Read Woke (Recurring event each Thursday – 4:00-4:45 pm). Best for Grade 3 and up. Read and discuss novels with themes of social justice together. No outside reading required. Register to receive a Zoom address.
- Read Across America Challenge (Photo submission
3/2-3/21, voting 3/22-3/26, Winners announced on 3/28 at 1:00 pm). Share photos of you and your family reading in unique places in your house, your community or maybe you even have pictures from around the country or even our world.
- March (Book) Madness Brackets
Weekly Book brackets with classics and new favorites competing for the title of Book Champion. Voting will be done weekly as the brackets progress through the competition. No reading required. Prizes provided for the highest scoring brackets weekly and at the final championship vote. More information provided at registration.
- Women’s History Month Tribute (Tuesday 3/16 – 4:00 – 5:00 pm) Recommended for all ages! Celebrate the impact of Women’s History through trivia, games, and fact-finding. Learn historical facts and plan ways that we can continue to honor this month in our own community.
- Family Trivia Day (Sunday, March 21st – 1:00-2:00 pm) Register your family for a friendly trivia contest. Topics may include pop culture, animals, natural features, etc. Questions read at about a 3rd Grade level. All ages are welcome on each team.
- Lego Creation Competition (To be determined during Spring Break) All ages welcome. Make your best Lego creations, take pictures, share your description, and vote on community favorites on the Library Facebook page during Spring Break. We will have specific ages, categories, and voting dates coming soon. Not competing? Be sure to vote on your favorites.
FACEBOOK Page for submissions and voting: https://www.facebook.com/huntingtonwoodslib
- Zoom Cooking with Jane Alkon – Absolutely Fabulous Apple Crisp (Wednesday 3/10 – 7:00 – 8:30 pm) Join HW Native, Jane Alkon – our Adult Workshop Instructor – as she shares fabulous recipes from her book “The Favorites”. This month: Apple Crisp! You will be provided with the recipe (hermetically-sealed), necessary supplies to have on-hand, a list of ingredients to purchase in advance and a special gadget that will make your preparations even easier!
- Author Speaker Series featuring Terrence O’Leary – “Irish Crossings” Novels (Wednesday, 3/17 – 7:00- 8:30 pm) On St. Patrick’s Day, join author Terence O’Leary as he discusses his six year journey to write three “Irish Crossings” historical novels. The stories are set during the time of the tragic Irish Potato Famine.
- Book Discussion Group (Recurring fourth Monday of the every month – 7:30-9:00 pm – This month on Monday, March 22nd) Join our ever-popular book discussion group. Please call the library (248-543-9720) for book titles, the Zoom address and more information about this lively book discussion group.
- Anti-Racism Film Series with Dr. Tara Hayes (Will be recurring each month – This month on Wednesday, March 24th – 6:30-9:00 pm) As part of the City of Huntington Woods Anti-Racism Plan, we invite you to join us for a new monthly film discussion group with Dr. Tara Hayes. To participate, screen the monthly film in advance of the discussion then join us via Zoom on the discussion date. Register for each month and a meeting link will be e-mailed prior to the meeting. Each movie has been paired with a chapter from Dr. Kendi’s best-selling “How to be an Anti-Racist”. Participants are encouraged to read it in its entirety. This month’s movie/chapter to pre-screen is Clemency, 2019 – paired with Chapter 1: Failure.